Yoga Teacher Post-Graduate Certificate
You have just finished your yoga teacher training and now must embark on the sometimes scary journey of beginning to teach classes. The prospect of teaching yoga can feel very different from practicing yoga. In this post-graduate certificate we will guide yoga teachers through the transition from learn how to teach a yoga class to confidently stepping into the role of a yoga teacher. You will learn how to overcome your fears, work with a variety of different clients, find your own unique style and flow, teach intuitively without notes, and build meaning and purpose behind your teaching. This workshop is designed around both yoga principles as well as adult learning practices, giving you the spirituality and heart of yoga and the confidence and success of years of teaching research.
Program Learning Objectives
Participants in this program can expect to learn how to:
- Unravel and disarm limiting beliefs and fears about teaching or public speaking
- Manage and reduce anxiety before and during classes
- Find your own center so that you can trust your gut when teaching
- Discover your natural style of teaching to make it more authentic
- Develop smooth and natural transitions between poses
- Quickly identify and assess clients needs and levels in a group setting
- Offer multiple modifications in one class without breaking the flow
- Develop a language for your classes that suits your personality
- Manage difficult situations that can arise in and outside of yoga classes
- Teach intuitively without creating in-depth notes and plans
- Channel wisdom and insight while teaching instead of reading poems and quotes
- Value and price your time as a yoga teacher
- Develop the courage to teach your first class and all classes in your future
Jennifer Kavanagh, Program Leader
This program is designed and led by Jennifer Kavanagh, creator of Pura Vida Soul Institute Inc in Muskoka. She became a yoga teacher after years of working as a corporate educator and working on doctoral research in combining yoga, meditation, and adult education. You will go through a journey of self-discovery with the intent of enhancing your confidence, finding your empowerment, and trusting your intuition when you are teaching. Being at the front of the room is a vulnerable and sometimes scary place to be. This program will help you step into that place with confidence, knowledge, and grace so that you can be the best teacher.
Module 1: Releasing Your Teaching Fears & Anxieties
Whether you are teaching your first class or your 100th class, it is quite normal for fears and anxieties to arise for any teacher. However, these fears should not be holding you back from teaching in the first place. In this workshop you will discover some of your deeply rooted fears and beliefs and how to overcome them. For some of us it is the fear of public speaking, for others it is the fear of criticism or failure that holds us, and for some we just don’t feel like we are good enough yet to become a teacher. Regardless of what the fears are, this is your time to uncover them and release them. These limiting beliefs and old programming will not serve you as a teacher nor will they serve you as a student anymore. Through gentle exercises and reflection you are going to finally let them go.
Participants in this module will:
- Identify what triggers fears and anxieties about teaching yoga
- Begin to discover what has caused those beliefs
- Develop strategies to overcome and release the fears
- Learn practices to release anxiety and remain calm
- Practice teaching yoga from a place of courage
- Receive support and guidance on their teaching path
- Develop a sense of community with other new yoga teachers
Module 2: Finding Your Yoga Flow
It can be tempting to copy other teachers’ classes and styles, but the result of that is similar to lipsynching your favourite song. Your performance as a teacher will appear to lack heart and authenticity. The best teachers find their heart and teach from their heart. This is accomplished by identifying your own style and flow when teaching, even if it is a little be different from the style you completed your teacher training in. This workshop will help you find your flow and voice as a yoga teacher. We want you to bring in your life experience, your yoga experience, and any other bodily or spiritual experiences you have had to discover who you are as a teacher. It is who you are that attracts your students. From there, you develop your style and learn to teach from your heart.
Participants in this module will:
- Connect with their heart and source when teaching
- Recognize the classes, styles, techniques, and poses you are meant to teach and which ones are maybe not suited for you (if any)
- Identify their ideal clients and which clients you may refer to other teachers
- Design a smooth flowing class from beginning to end with creative transitions and inspiring prose
- Develop and teach a short yoga class from their heart
- Receive support and guidance in their growth as a yoga teacher
Module 3: Teaching to Every Body
While it is ideal to teach yoga classes where clients all have the same needs and goals in the same session, it is not common. Instead, it is more likely that you may have a beginner, an intermediate, someone who wants to work physically, someone who wants to work more emotionally, someone with a knee program, and someone who is stressed all in the same class. In this workshop you will learn how to evaluate the abilities and needs of clients on the fly, adjust your class plans quickly, and work with some of the most difficult clients you may face when teaching yoga.
Participants in this module will:
- Learn how to assess the physical and emotional needs of clients quickly in a group setting
- Identify different modifications and adjustments to meet varied needs
- Find supportive language that encourages and supports everyone regardless of where they are at with their practice
- Give multiple modifications without losing flow during your class
- Recognize the types of challenges that may come up in a class setting and how to manage them
- Take ownership of the energy of the space in which you are teaching
- Receive support and guidance on any existing challenges you may be facing
- Discuss and identify multiple strategies to overcome challenges and serve every body.
Module 4: Becoming a Courageous Yoga Teacher
There is a lot more going on inside a yoga teacher’s head than is often given credit in the Western world. In this workshop, we tie everything together and help you get out of your head and into your heart. You will learn how to use your intuition to teach in the present moment, to adjust on the fly, and to feel most alive and empowered when you are at the front of the room.
Participants in this module will:
- Reconnect with their heart and intuition
- Practice teaching intuitively and aligned to who they are and where their clients are at
- Learn how to connect to source and channel wisdom and insight to inspire others
- Find what makes them unique as a yoga teacher and how to bring that to the world
- Discover their value as a yoga teacher
- Learn how to bridge the gap between the spiritual giving of yoga and the business world related to money with a sense of grace and love
- Step into the role of a yoga teacher with their heart and their soul
- 6:00pm Yoga & Meditation on Identifying Fears & Anxieties
- 7:00pm Personal Reflection Exercise
- 7:30pm Solutions & Strategies for Overcoming Teaching fears
- 8:00pm Fear Release Meditation
- 8:45pm Closing Practice
- 9:00am Teaching Practice
- 10:00am Soul Light Circle
- 11:00am Intuitive Yoga Flow
- 11:45am Meditating on Living Yoga
- 12:00pm Your Teaching Style
- 12:30pm Lunch
- 1:15pm Creating Smooth Transitions
- 2:00pm Designing Your Yoga Flow
- 3:00pm Teaching Practice
- 4:00pmYoga Practice with Multiple Modifications
- 5:00pm Dinner
- 6:00pm Assessing & Identifying Needs Exercise
- 6:30pm Modifications for Physical & Emotional Needs
- 8:00pm Closing Circle
- 9:00am Warm-up Yoga
- 10:00am Supportive Language
- 11:00am Managing Difficult Situations
- 12:00pm Lunch
- 12:30pm Yoga & Meditation From the Heart
- 1:30pm Teaching Intuitively
- 2:30pm Channelling Wisdom
- 3:30pm Branding Yourself as a Teacher
- 4:00pm Your Value as a Yoga teacher
- 4:30pm Introducing Yourself to the World
- 5:00pm Closing Circle
Give yourself the gift of immersing yourself in these teachings with a weekend away from other responsibilities. Over the course of 3 days, you will receive:
- All 4 Modules of the Training
- Plant-Based lunches Saturday & Sunday, Dinner Saturday evening
- A gentle, supportive, and positive environment to practice your teaching
- A community of like-minded yogis & friendships that last beyond the training
- An intimate training environment with direct access to the instructor
- Tips on teaching from your heart with confidence & matching your business model to that concept.
- Certificate of completion
- 24 CEUs with the Yoga Alliance
Cost: $449+HST Paid in 2 installments. A 50% non-refundable deposit is required to hold your spot in the training. The balance is due upon arrival at the retreat. Cash, credit, and e-transfer are accepted.
Accommodations are not included in this fee. You may stay at your home or cottage or at a nearby resort. The following accommodations are recommended:
- Glamping at Pura Vida We have only 1 glamping tent available with wood stove through the winter months.
- Bayview Wildwood Resort The closest resort includes breakfast and free shuttle to/from Pura Vida. Contact us for a special Pura Vida rate with them!
- Severn Shores Bed & Breakfast The closest location to our retreat center.
- Days Inn Orillia Typical hotel with indoor pool. Near Casino Rama.
- March 1-3, 2019
- November 8-10, 2019
Program Runs Annually.
The Courage to Teach Yoga is currently held at Pura Vida Soul Institute Inc in Severn Bridge, Ontario (Just 1.5 hours north of Toronto). Located in the middle of a 20-acre Muskoka forest this is a beautiful setting to really let go of your fears and connect with your inner teacher.
Want to bring the program to your studio? Contact Jennifer to get a quote to deliver this program at your space.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
This course is recognized with Yoga Alliance and participants are eligible to earn CEUs with their participation. After completion of each workshop you will receive a certificate of completion that can be submitted to Yoga Alliance for your CEU validation.
Cancellation & Refund Policy
All deposits are non-refundable. We have a 100% non-refundable cancellation policy with all workshops and retreats once payment has been received. If you cancel for any reason you will NOT receive a refund nor a credit. There are no exceptions to this policy. You may transfer your workshop pass to another individual if you are unable to attend yourself.
Still not sure? Have more questions! Send Jennifer a note at Jennifer@PuraVidaSoulinstitute.com to discuss your situation and questions directly.